Development Policy and The Development Policy and Practice (DPP) Group is at the heart of The Open University’s teaching and research in international development and is made up of over 20 staff. Our teaching is informed by our rigorous research and our cutting edge research feeds into our teaching.
- We are an interdisciplinary group which includes economists, sociologists, geographers, scientists, engineers and political scientists, all working at the cutting edge of development, locally, nationally, and globally
- DPP tutors are recruited with both experience and an academic background in development
Our mission is to sustain a globally leading and distinctive analysis of development by:
- building up, through research and teaching, knowledge, capabilities and creativities that can be harnessed for global social justice
- exploring the economic, social and political significance in sub-Saharan Africa of the southern rising powers, notably China, India and Brazil
- identifying innovative, more inclusive, growth paths to meet the needs of low-income economies